Sunday, May 31, 2009

Easy Breezy Crabs (Kurlyo Thel Piyaav)


Today I have for you an authentic Mangalorean recipe, which even a novice who has no cooking experience can make. In Konkani, we call this style of cooking "Thel Piyaav" (Oil and Onion). Most Mangalorean Catholics cook their veggies in this Thel Piyaav style. There is no grinding, no frying, and no tempering. Just add all the ingredients and place them on the stove, cook and voila your recipe is ready.

I love sea-food and crab is an absolute favorite. I can eat crab in any form ; as a crab cake, stuffed crab , a yummy crab gravy, roasted crab or as spicy crab masala. However, the way I really savor the taste of crab is in Thel Piyaav. But I must warn my readers that Crab Thel Piyaav is an acquired taste. If you only like spicy food, give this a pass. Note down the recipe:

Ingredients
Crabs: 2 cleaned and cut
Green Chillies: 2
Onion: 1 small sliced
Ginger: 2 tsp finely chopped
Garlic: 10 flakes
Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
water: as required

Method:

1)In a thick bottomed vessel, mix togther crabs, green chillies, onion, ginger, garlic and oil
2)Now keep the mixture on low flame and let it cook. Keep stirring once in a while and if you need to add a little water, do so sparingly.
3)When the crab meat is cooked, add salt and mix well and switch off the stove.
4)Serve hot.

Read other crab recipes here:
Blue Crab on Foodista

6 comments:

Nicole Feliciano said...

Wow! Gorgeous. We’re planning on grilling up a storm this weekend. I just posted a recipe share link on my site. Hope you’ll stop by and add a favorite:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts.html

Simply Life said...

oh wow! this looks great!

CDC said...

That looks amazing! I think I would love the mixture of crab, coconut, and chiles! Love the site!

Amy B. said...

Found this in Foodista! :-) I've been looking for a good and easy recipe for the crabs that has long been frozen in the fridge.. And I think I found my recipe for lunch today! thanks for sharing xx

Yogesh Kumar said...

Hi my name is yogesh kumar. I like this blog website due to the quality of a description about food recipes. I say thanks to that person who made this
www.today-life-style.blogspot.com

GST Training Delhi said...

Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More