Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Paneer Butter Masala



It's been a hectic few weeks and I've not been able to update the blog as often as I would have liked to. No worries though, I have multiple posts for you today.

I am also happy to share with you that my blog has been selected by blogville as an editor's choice blog. Apparently only 1% of the blogs on their site get this recognition, so I'm quite pleased :)

Today I bring to you a simple Paneer dish, which can be made pretty quickly, with very little fuss. I call it my version of paneer butter masala, but this one is made with less butter than the original recipe usually demands.


Ingredients
Paneer/Cottage Cheese : 1/2 lb or 250 gms
Onion: 1 small finely chopped
Tomato: 2 large
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds: 1 tsp
Onion seeds/ Kalaonji: 1 tsp (optional)
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
Cream: 1 cup
Butter: 1/4 cube or arnd 1 tbsp
Oil as required
Chilli Powder: 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Butter Chicken/Paneer Butter Masala powder (optional) : 2 tsp
Garam Masala : 1 tsp
Coriander Powder (only use if not using butter chicken powder): 1.5 tsp
Cinnamon/cloves powder (only use if not using butter masala powder): 1/2 tsp
Red color (optional)
Kasoori Methi, Cilantro for garnishing

Kitchen Items Required
Thick bottomed pan to cook and a wooden spoon

Method

1)Melt butter in the pan and add oil and when hot, temper the cumin, fennel and onion seeds. Add onion and fry till it changes color. Add in the ginger garlic paste.
2)Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes completely break up and form a nice puree.
Note: Use nice red juicy tomatoes for this recipe. Else use canned diced tomatoes like I did.
3)Now add all the powders (chilli, turmeric, butter masala (or coriander/ cloves, cinnamon)) and mix well. Add water as required. Add salt. Check for spice and acidity and adjust accordingly.
4)Add cream and keep stirring till it completely blends into the gravy.
5)Slowly add the paneer ( cut into bite sized cubes)pieces and toss delicately so they don't break up.
Note: Paneer cubes can also be fried to avoid them from crumbling. I did not fry them in this recipe.
If you are frying the paneer, just after frying it, dip it in a cup of hot boiling water. This way the paneer will remain soft, despite frying.
6)Garnish with Kasoori Methi and cilantro
Note: I used a store bought chicken butter masala powder which gave the dish a red color. If you want the red color and do not have the butter masala powder, add a little bit of red color to a tsp of milk and add it into the gravy just after adding all the masalas.



3 comments:

Noodlehead said...

congratulations!!! i made the no-grind fish and baby absolutely loved it :D she's been asking me for fish everyday since :) thanks a bunch for that recipe.

Seema.Rathore said...

Congratulations!!!

which brand's masaala pdr did u buy for the paneer Butter masaala.
keep up the good work. the dishes R absolutely yummy. nice work on photography too.
happy cooking!!

The Inscrutable Indian said...

Thanks Anj, I'm glad Anusha enjoyed it. Will post other fish recipes soon.

Thanks Seema, I use Shan brand of masalas usually for most of my recipes. For Chole I use, Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More